What is healthinsite?
healthinsite is a non-commercial, government-funded health information service, operated by Healthdirect Australia. It aims to improve the wellbeing of all Australians by providing easy access to quality health information and services.
Your gateway to trusted, high quality health information.
Reliable, up-to-date information is crucial today – particularly when it comes to health matters. Australians are increasingly turning to the internet as a source of health information. While the internet provides a vast amount of useful information, it can sometimes be hard to determine its quality.
healthinsite was launched in 1999 by the Department of Health and Ageing to enable the growing number of people looking for health information online to be able to access reliable, quality, evidence-based information from trusted sources.
healthinsite provides health information to all people in Australia, either directly or through health professionals and service providers. It is a single entry point to quality information from leading health information providers, including government agencies, educational and research institutions and not-for-profit organisations. It also provides access to services such as the National Health Services Directory and an increasing number of online programs and tools.
Who can use healthinsite?
Anyone can access healthinsite for free. It has been designed for the general public in Australia. Health professionals and service providers can also use it for their own information and to support their patients and clients with guidance and advice.
How does healthinsite work?
Other Healthdirect Australia services
healthinsite is one of a range of services provided by Healthdirect Australia, which include:
- healthdirect Australia – 1800 022 222 – call if you would like to speak to a registered nurse
- After hours GP Helpline – 1800 022 222 – call if you require access to a doctor after hours
- National Health Services Directory – visit the website if you’re looking for a health service, such as general practice, pharmacy, hospital or emergency department, in your area
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby – 1800 882 436 – call or visit the website if you need specific advice on pregnancy, birth or caring for your baby
- mindhealthconnect – visit the website if you need specific advice on mental health.